Phi Delta Theta was founded in 1848 at Miami University by “The Immortal Six.” As the Christmas holiday season approached, the weather was very uncertain and several gentlemen were stranded on campus until the perilous weather subsided. Robert Morrison suggested to a close friend, John McMillian Wilson, that they consider creating a new collegiate brotherhood. These two men then sought out fellow classmates that could grow their organization and found, John Wolfe Lindley, Robert Thompson Drake, Ardivan Walker Rodgers, and Andrew Watts Rogers.
On the night of December 26, 1848, the men met in Wilson’s room in Old North Hall, directly above Morrison’s room. They made the decision to form a secret society. Two nights later the group again met in the same room and agreed to form the constitution. This document is referred to as the Bond of Phi Delta Theta. The Bond is what every individual that is initiated in to the Fraternity has signed. On December 30, each of the “Immortal Six” signed the Bond. The Bond has remained unchanged since its adoption on this date. On January 1st, the first member, Morton George Williams, was welcomed in to the Fraternity by the Founders.
Today, Phi Delta Theta has almost 190 chapters and colonies scattered throughout the United States and Canada. Phi Delta Theta has initiated more than 250,000 men and have over 160,000 living alumni. The Fraternity operates in Oxford, Ohio, across from where Miami University is located.